Start with your lawn…It’s the first thing that prospective buyers see.
- Is the lawn trimmed and edged?
- Are flower beds clear of leaves, weeds & grass?
- Is appeal of the house enhanced by adequate flowers and mulch?
- Are light posts, gas grills, outdoor lights, mailboxes, fences or basketball hoops in good condition?
- Are children’s objects removed, such as old swing sets, sandboxes, etc.?
- Have any imperfections to lawn such as bare spots, big holes, ruts, weeds or crabgrass been removed or repaired?
- Does the lawn have an overall manicured look?
- If it is winter, have snow and ice been removed from driveway, sidewalks and steps?
Your front door welcomes the prospect…A door decoration adds a warm, inviting touch.
- Is the door clean? Does it need a coat of paint?
- Are light fixtures, door knockers and doorknobs in good condition?
- Does the doorbell work?
- Are storm doors clean and in good condition?
- Is the front step/porch in good repair?
Decorating helps assure top dollar and a quick sale…A little Liquid Gold does wonders for scratched and dry-looking wood.
- Are walls clean?
- Has outdated wallpaper been removed and walls painted?
- Are all nail and molly holes filled?
- Are there any cork or mirror tiles, shelves, metal brackets, plant brackets, stickers, murals or makeshift cabinets that should be removed?
- Should the ceiling be textured to cover flaws?
- Are switchplates clean?
Clean windows show the bright side of your home…Let the prospective buyers see how cheerful your home can be.
- Have curtains and draperies been opened to highlight walls and ceilings?
- Will window coverings appeal to the general public?
- Do sheers cover all windows facing the street?
A clean kitchen is a must…Many buyers judge the housekeeping by the oven and stove.
- Is the interior of the oven, stove and dishwasher stain free?
- Have the cabinets been cleared of all but essential items?
- Are the counter tops clean and clear of clutter?
- Is the Formica stained? (Baking soda removes stains without marring the finish).
Sparkling bathrooms help sell your home…Spick and span throughout is the way to judge bathrooms.
- Are shower doors, ceramic tile and grouting clean and free of soap film?
- Are fixtures polished and free of water marks?
- Have appliques in the tub been removed?
- Is lighting adequate?
- Does the toilet seat need to be replaced?
- Is the exhaust fan working? Is it quiet?
- Is there a window available? Open it and let the fresh air in.
Avoid cluttered appearances…Perhaps now is the time to plan a garage sale.
- Do you have excess furniture which makes the rooms appear cramped?
- Are toys and other articles picked up?
- Is the stairway clear? This is essential!
Make the closets look as large as possible…Remove or pack items that can be stored elsewhere.
- Is the closet neat and organized?
- Are wall surfaces in need of paint?
- Are shelving and hardware in good condition?
- If the closets have lights, are the bulbs bright?
- Do the closet doors operate smoothly and quietly?
From top to bottom…Remove all unnecessary items.
- Have you removed all excess items from the basement, garage and other utility spaces?
- Is there a damp smell in the basement or crawl space? Place a bag of limestone the area.
- Are the walls dark and dull? If so, they can easily be brightened with a coat of paint.
- Do all the lights work?
- Are the lights bright enough?
- Are window areas clean and sealed properly?
- Are window wells free of debris?
- Is the floor covering in good condition?
- Do the steps or handrails need paint or repair?
- Is the basement immaculate?
- Is the sump pump clear and operable?
Check major appliances…A little correction could be worth many dollars.
- Is the furnace filter clean?
- Is the attic fan funning quietly?
- Is the exterior of the water heater clean?
- Does the water softener work? Is the exterior clean?
- Is the water heater in good condition? Drain a pan of water to remove rust particles.
- Does the furnace work properly?
- When was the air conditioner last checked?
- Does the air filter work properly? Is it clean?
- Do kitchen appliances work properly? (Dishwasher, range, disposal, exhaust fan, compactor, refrigerator, oven)
- Does the garage door opener work properly and quietly?
Minor flaws suggest neglect to the prospect… Have them fixed to get top dollar for your house.
- Do the screen doors close tightly?
- If the property has a storage shed, is it in good condition?
- Is there a dog house, and should it be removed?
- Is the driveway in good condition?
- Are gutters and downspouts in good repair?
- Do gutters drain away from the house?
- Is the roof in good repair?
- Are the hardwood floors in excellent condition?
- Are vinyl floors in good repair?